Admin

Our School

Kempsville Meadows Elementary School is located on Edwin Drive in the Larkspur neighborhood of the historic Kempsville borough/residence district (one of seven in Virginia Beach, Virginia). 

Our school was built on a 15-acre “meadow” donated by Mr. Albert Bonney.  The original school was designed by the architects Pentecost, Wade, and McLellan and erected by Haycox Construction Company.  The first principal, Mrs. Josephine Charles, opened the school in 1959 with a student enrollment of 810.  The school’s mascot was the Lark (meadowlark), with green and white as school colors. 

On July 3, 2001 a groundbreaking ceremony was held for the construction of a new school. The building was dedicated on August 21, 2002 and the new facility opened in September 2002.  The school colors remain green and white, but our mascot is now the Lion Cub, reflecting the fact that our students feed into the 6th grade at Larkspur Middle School (home of the Lions).